Thursday, 29 September 2011

Preparing to Leave


They say that life is a journey, or maybe it’s a series of them. Through my blog, I would like to invite all of you to come along and share with me in my next journey. I will be departing for Tanzania on September 30th and I will be spending 12 months there working with CUSO-VSO to fight poverty and disadvantage. 

CUSO-VSO holds the belief that people are the best agents of change and as such, works towards the goal of fighting poverty by sending resources rather than money to organizations in developing countries. I am acting as one of those resources and I hope that through sharing my knowledge I will become an agent affecting some measure of change.  If you would like to learn more about CUSO-VSO you can do so through the following link: http://www.cuso-vso.org/

My placement is a part of VSO Tanzania’s Programme Area Plan for Health which aims to improve the health of the most vulnerable populations by supporting the delivery of the Health Sector Strategic Plan of Tanzania. This plan aims to:
  • Improve the management of human resources
  • Contribute towards the reduction of maternal morbidity and mortality by strengthening maternal health service provision
  • Contribute towards improved accessibility and quality of sexual and reproductive health and HIV & AIDS services
I will be working within this strategic plan in the Rubya Hospital in the Kagera region of Tanzania as a HR manager. Although there is a lot about my placement that I will not know until I am in country, I do know that my mandate will be to design and develop HR systems, to coach HR personnel, to assess and address the HR needs of the hospital and to address the capacity needs of the hospital staff. I’m sure that in future blogs I will be able to better describe the scope of my work as well as my challenges and hopeful successes. 

In writing this first entry I have quite a few emotions running through me. The 2 most dominant are excitement and fear - excitement for new challenges and experiences and fear of the unknown. CUSO- VSO has done an excellent job at preparing me for my adventure, but I know that there will be many surprises along the way. I’m looking forward to sharing these with you and I am counting on your support throughout my journey – I know that I am going to miss all of you.

And now to start packing.... so until next time...

V

No comments:

Post a Comment