![]() |
| Beautiful Mt. Kilimanjaro |
![]() |
| Vervet Monkey! |
This post is long delayed. At the end of February I visited
Moshi, home of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Kilimanjaro is the world’s tallest free
standing mountain and is comparable in height to the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
I was a little disappointed flying into the Kilimanjaro airport (which is the
nicest airport that I have seen thus far in this country, by the way) as it was
a bit overcast and I could not spot the mountain. Driving into the hotel the
bottom third of it became visible but the rest of it stayed hidden in the
clouds. On arrival to the hotel I forgot about the mountain for a while.... the
hotel was great! There was a well stocked bar, comfy lounge chairs and a nice
pool. Even better than all that.... there were tortoises and monkeys!
![]() |
| 3 Little Tortoises :) |
I was the first to arrive to the hotel, but I was meeting up
with several other VSO volunteers and staff. The 2012 Kilimanjaro marathon was
taking place over the weekend and a few volunteers were running the full or
half marathon. The rest of us would be joining the 5km “fun run” and cheering
on those who were doing the serious running.
![]() |
| The VSO Kilimanjaro Marathon Team |
Once the rest of my VSO family arrived, we lounged by the
pool for a while before making our way into town to register for the marathon.
Moshi not only has the cleanest airport that I have seen so far in this
country, it also has the cleanest streets. Moments after I voiced this
observation we found out why the streets were so clean. Fellow Canadian
volunteer, Robert, tossed an inconsequential piece of rubbish on the side of
the road as we climbed into the car. This is not something that Robert would
normally do at home in Canada, but living for the past several months is Dar es
Salaam has conditioned him to accept this sort of behaviour. Moments after the
rubbish hit the ground there were 2 not so official men in shiny shirts
flashing badges and pamphlets at Robert telling him that he would have to
either give them 50,000 shillings (just under $30 CAD) as a fine for littering
or he would have to go to the police station to explain himself. It was quickly
decided that we would accompany Robert to the police station rather than pay
these guys off. Upon learning that Robert was living in Dar es Salaam the
gentlemen at the police station immediately understood the reason for his
infraction and let him off with a warning, a smile and a handshake.
![]() |
| Another Monkey.... With her Baby! |
The Kilimanjaro region in Tanzania is known for their
excellent coffee in addition to their beautiful mountain. So following our run
in with the police we decided to enjoy some lunch and coffee at a place that is
aptly, if not originally, called “The Coffee Shop”. I had a cappuccino and a
bacon and avocado sandwich. Mmmmmmmm how I miss cappuccinos. I bought 2 kilos
of coffee while in Moshi, and I have my French press here in the village, so
I’m not deprived of good coffee..... but there certainly isn’t a Starbucks in
the village so this was a real treat for me and I knew that I would be back at
“The Coffee Shop” before leaving Moshi.
The night before marathon day was a loud one. I was woken
during the night constantly by the hotel’s resident dog who felt it necessary
to bark almost without a break for at least 2 hours. When he finally finished
barking I think I figured out what he was barking about as I was once again
awoken by booming thunder and flashes of lightning. In my frustration at being
woken I thought of those in the group who had to wake before me to do some
actual running (the runners started quite a bit
before the “fun runners”) and
tossed them a little pity before going back to grumbling to myself about not
being able to sleep. After waking and
having a small breakfast our fun run crew set out only to find that the bus that
would be taking us to the starting line was stuck in the mud. We learned that
earlier that morning the runners had to take the public dala dala to the race.
While we certainly had good intentions, and we considered taking the dala dala
ourselves, it didn’t work out that way. It turns out that the main street that
we were standing on was right on the marathon route so we opted for grabbing a
few cold beers and cheering on our VSO team of runners as they passed us and
then, once the bus was out, just heading over to the stadium to greet them at
the finish line.
As always, it was a great reunion with my VSO family filled
with many drinks, shenanigans and laughs.
Miss you all,
V
![]() | |||
| Those of us who did not make it to the race.... and 2 guys who seemed happy that they were not the only ones in the bar at 8am |






6 KEYS TO CHOOSING MT KILIMANJARO CLIMBING ROUTE
ReplyDeleteTo choose the right Kilimanjaro Climb route for you, there are plenty of variables to be mindful of.
• Who: Who is climbing? The whole group's abilities must be factored into choosing a route. The rest of the party is relying on your decision. Pick a route that best fits everyone.
• What: What limitations surround your climb? Are you bound by a budget? Or the number of days on your trip? There are cheap/expensive routes, and short/long itineraries.
• How: How do you see your trek? Do you want the most challenging route or a less strenuous one? These answers will affect which route is for you.
• Where: Where do you want to begin your climb? The routes start from all sides of the mountain. Where you begin affects cost, scenery and scenic variety.
• Why: Why are you climbing? Is it very important to summit? Then choose a route with a high success rate. Do you want to take the best photos? Then pick the most scenic route.
• When: If you are climbing during the dry season, great. But if you are climbing during the rainy season or the shoulder seasons, then the route you select can play into the climb's difficulty.
So Which is the best route to use to climb up kilimanjaro? Lemosho Route and Rongai Route are the most scenic routes up kilimanjaro. Mt Kilimanjaro Machame route is also a scenic and very popular route with many climbers.
The Marangu Route Climb is however the most used route since it has the advantage of sleeping in huts with bunker beds, hot showers, beverages and beers in the evenings are also available. Marangu is also the shorter route and can be done in 5 days although an extra day for acclimatisation is recommended.