I have just arrived back in Tanzania after a great holiday and adventure. This post as well as my next one will likely seem more like a travel journal rather than a volunteer blog post. Moving forward in my placement, I will be staying in Dar es Salaam and will not be returning to the village, but will write more on that later.
My holiday started in Kigali, Rwanda. I piled into a bus with several other VSO volunteers bound for the Kigali Peace Marathon. I was quite impressed with the city and as always, shenanigans with the other volunteers proved to be great fun. The Rwandan tourist board will tell you that Rwanda is “the land of a thousand hills and a million smiles” and my visit there did not disappoint. The landscape is beautiful and the people that we encountered were all friendly and helpful. Shenanigans aside, I also took an afternoon to visit the genocide memorial which was, as expected, a sombre and reflective experience.
![]() |
| And his tongue is not even stuck out all the way.... |
![]() |
| Feeding time |
![]() |
| Can you spot something in this photo that isn't baby-sized? |
My final stop on my sight-seeing day in Nairobi was the zoo. Now I would not have expected to want to visit a zoo in Kenya.... because all of the animals that you can see there you can also see at the parks in the actual wild! There was one key attraction at the zoo though – they care for orphaned animals and I was told that I would have the opportunity to snuggle a baby cheetah.... and who wouldn’t want that???? So I went to the zoo and was guided about and it was, as expected, not exciting. I was getting impatient about the cheetahs! Unfortunately everyone had lied to me and snuggling up with a cheetah just wasn’t in the cards for me. Apparently they had an “incident” a few years back and they no longer allow guests to interact with the animals. They wouldn’t tell me exactly what the “incident” entailed, but I’m sure we can all use our imaginations (remember what happened to Roy of Seigfried and Roy?). Although I was disappointed in regards to the cheetahs, there were a couple amusing things to be seen in the zoo:
![]() |
| Walking around like he owns the place |
![]() |
| Makes the same sound as a donkey |
The first picture is of a baboon. The zoo has several of baboons exactly like this one that they keep in cages. The baboon in the photo is not one of them. He is a wild baboon who, like me, decided to spend the afternoon wandering through the zoo. He probably likes to visit now and again in order to taunt the other baboons and feel good about himself. Or maybe he is visiting his baboon wife who was captured and who he misses dearly. The silly looking animal in the second picture is a Zdonk.... yup you read it right. It is, similarly to a mule, the product of inter-species breeding – in this case a cross between a donkey and a zebra.
Following my fun times in Kenya, I was off to Zanzibar for some fun and sun before continuing my journey onward to Cape Town.... which I will write about in my next post!
Miss you all,
V
* The five smartest non-primate animals are: elephants, crows, dolphins, octopuses and pigs. I find the octopus to be a particularly interesting creature if you’re curious to give them a google and learn more about them.





Awwwwwww, elephants dying from loneliness is the saddest idea ever... Actually I can remind you telling me this fact before, when also tears filled my eyes. Lovely story, although I wondered if all these animals weren't a bit too big according to your taste. How is your miniaturizing plan developing? Enjoy your holiday to the max, safari njema! xxx
ReplyDeleteV!
ReplyDeleteI was dying for a blog entry. You did not disappoint. Sounds like you're having a wonderful adventure in Africa - wish I was there with you. Good on you for visiting the genocide museum and the elephant orphanage (featured in National Geographic recently by the way). Hope you're well. Miss you. And you'll be happy / surprised to know that I am not, despite rumours to the contrary, a psychopath. Thanks for the link. I can sleep better tonight.